Heart to Heart by Elismawati Heart to Heart

Heart to Heart

It's neither red
nor sweet.
It doesn't melt
or turn over,
break or harden,
so it can't feel
pain,
yearning,
regret.

It doesn't have
a tip to spin on,
it isn't even
shapely—
just a thick clutch
of muscle,
lopsided,
mute. Still,
I feel it inside
its cage sounding
a dull tattoo:
I want, I want
but I can't open it:
there's no key.
I can't wear it
on my sleeve,
or tell you from
the bottom of it
how I feel. Here,
it's all yours, now—
but you'll have
to take me,
too.

1.      Theme                               : Love

2.      Tone                                  : Melancholys

3.      Figurative Language         : Metaphor
This poem to tell about a human heart. The poet is saying that a heart doesn't actually break when you are sad, and a human heart doesn't actually melt when you are with someone you love. The poet is adressing all of the sayings we use refereing to hearts and love and calling them untrue. For example "My heart skipped a beat when I saw her face" is untrue because if your heart would skip a beat you would die.
In the next section the poet is refering to how the heart looks. it isn't shaped like this. There is no pointy tip at the bottom, and she says it isn't even shapely - it doesn't have a shape to it it looks like this:
The poet is saying that the heart is just a big muscle that is lopsided and that doesn't make a sound.
BUT the important part comes when she says that she can still feel it in her chest "the cage" she is refering to is her rib cage. She is saying that her hearts wants something (love) but she doesn't know how to let it love because there's no key to open it with. She says that she can't wear it on her sleeve meaning she can't SHOW her love easily BUT she is telling the person that she DOES love him even if it was hard for her to say. She says "it's all yours" - my heart is yours, OR I love you. She ends it by saying "but you will have to take me too" OR you'll have to accept me for who I really am.
My take of this poem is that the poet was in a relationship but had a hard time showing that she loved her partner. But in this poem she says "yeah I don't show it easily but I do love you". And she ends the poem with "I hope you love me too."


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post